Wednesday, April 2, 2014

RECIPE: Fried Ravioli

I'm not sure why anyone would ever get an appetizer at Olive Garden. The salad and breadsticks are more than enough to fill you up, even before you receive your entree. Nevertheless, one time I ventured to try their Lasagna Fritta and it changed my life. There are lots of copycat recipes out there, but when I saw this fried lasagna recipe on Pinterest, I figured I could make it enough like the Lasagna Fritta recipe to make me happy. I tried it out for dinner one night a few weeks ago and we loved it (though I'll never stop dining at Olive Garden)!


FRIED RAVIOLI
10-14 fresh (never frozen) cheese raviolis
1/2 c panko breadcrumbs
1/2 c Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
1 t Italian seasoning
1/2 t salt
2 eggs
1/3 c milk
oil for frying
marinara sauce
alfredo sauce
dried parsley

Bring ravioli and eggs to room temperature. Combine two types of breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, and salt in a shallow bowl. Whisk together eggs and milk in another bowl. Dip raviolis in egg mixture, then in breadcrumb mixture.

(At this point, you can double coat them, as the original recipe suggests. I did this, but found them to be very 'heavy.' Next time, one coat will do!) Heat your choice of oil in a large pan and slowly add raviolis. They should cook for around 3 minutes, flipping halfway through, until they are golden brown.

Heat marinara and alfredo sauces separately on the stove top or in a microwave. Transfer raviolis momentarily to a paper-towel lined plate to help absorb excess oil. Serve warm, with sauces spread across the top, or for dipping. Sprinkle with dried parsley for color.

Credit: Mom On Timeout provided this recipe!

2 comments: