Wednesday, January 15, 2014

RECIPE: Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Have you ever done something really stupid in the kitchen? Don't answer that. I know you have. I did something really stupid when I made these cupcakes. It was the Saturday after Thanksgiving and I was making a feast for two. Our fridge was already stuffed with leftovers from our Thanksgiving meals with our families and with the additional leftovers from our private meal, I was running ran out of room!

I made all 24 cupcakes and planned to take them to work with me on Monday to give my co-workers. Because they were already frosted, I knew they needed to be kept cool until then. So what did I do with a full fridge? I put the cupcakes in the garage. Theoretically it makes sense, because it was cold outside and the garage was very cold and the cupcakes were in an airtight container. We don't keep a vehicle in our garage, so there aren't any icky fumes. But then I forgot them on Monday. And on Tuesday. And on Wednesday. And for a month. That's right. When I was putting away Christmas decorations I noticed my cupcake carrier, holding 20 very unappetizing cupcakes. Moral of the story: Don't bake delicious cupcakes and forget them. What a sad, sad waste.


PUMPKIN CUPCAKES (makes 24)
1/4 c butter, softened
3/4 c unsweetened applesauce
1 c sugar
3/4 c brown sugar, firmly packed
2 eggs
3/4 c milk
1 T lemon juice
15 oz. can pumpkin
2.5 c flour
1 T pumpkin pie spice
1 t ground cinnamon
1.5 t baking powder
3/4 t salt
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t ground ginger

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
8 oz cream cheese
1/4 c butter, softened
4 c powdered sugar
1 t vanilla extract
2 t ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place cupcake liners into pans. Spray liners lightly with nonstick cooking spray (very important!). In a large mixing bowl, add butter, applesauce, sugars, and eggs. Beat on medium speed until well combined. In a liquid measuring cup, combine milk and lemon juice and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine remaining dry ingredients. While beating on medium speed, slowly alternate adding dry ingredients and milk mixture to larger mixing bowl.

Once all ingredients are combined, divide between cupcake pans and bake for 24 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.

While cupcakes are cooking, combine all frosting ingredients except for powdered sugar in a bowl. Begin beating on medium speed as you add the powdered sugar a little at a time. Increase speed until frosting forms. Frost after cupcakes have cooled completely.

Credit: I found this great recipe from Dulce Delicious.

0 comments:

Post a Comment