Friday, January 31, 2014

RECIPE: Mini Apple Pies

Something BIG is happening today! It's the first day of Our State's Pie vs. Cake competition! It's a well-known fact that I love North Carolina and I have loved reading Our State since I was in high school! Today is the start of their campaign to determine once and for all if North Carolina is a PIE state or a CAKE state. They even have an official bracket!

In honor of this momentous occasion, I am sharing a simple recipe for mini apple pies. I made them for dessert one day earlier this week and my only regret was that I didn't think to have any vanilla bean ice cream to serve alongside them.


MINI APPLE PIES (makes 12)
3-4 apples, any variety
6 T flour
3/4 c sugar
2 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
3 T butter
1 box pie crust (2 crusts)

Peel apples and cut into small bite-size cubes (you need around 4 cups). In a mixing bowl, combine apples, flour, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Unroll your pie crusts and use the wide mouth of a cup to cut out 12 large circles.

Grease a muffin tin and line each cup with a pie crust circle. Place a couple of spoonfuls of apple mixture in each cup. Fill until slightly mounded. Divide 2 T butter into 12 equal parts and place each piece on top of your apple mixture. Cover with leftover dough. (I made tiny circles with the remaining dough and used them to cover the pies.)

Brush tops of pies with melted butter and bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes. Fun fact: I completely forgot to take mine out of the oven and left them in for a good half hour. Oops! They still looked and tasted great!

Credit: This recipe came from Little Bit Funky.

0 comments:

Post a Comment