Wednesday, December 11, 2013

RECIPE: Bacon Cheddar Fondue

Anyone that knows me in real life knows that my absolute FAVORITE restaurant is The Melting Pot. I fell in love with fondue when I had my first Melting Pot experience on my 22nd birthday and have visited it for special occasions (and some random nights, when I can talk Brandon into it) ever since. It's not a particularly 'affordable' restaurant, but Brandon and I both enjoy splurging on good food when we can. In fact, Brandon promised me that when I found a job (hey, I did that!) he'd treat me to dinner there. I'd better make a reservation soon!

Because dining at The Melting Pot is usually reserved for special occasions, I've fallen in love with making fondue at home. My brother gave me a fondue pot for my college graduation and it's gotten lots of use over the last few years. I created the following recipe based on the cheddar fondue recipe in the Melting Pot cookbook and added some extra ingredients to it. If you don't have a fondue pot, I've heard that a double broiler will work, too.


BACON CHEDDAR FONDUE (serves 4-6)
2 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 c shredded swiss cheese
3 T flour
1 c lager beer (I usually use Sam Adams)
4 t worcestershire
1 T prepared horseradish
1 clove garlic, minced
4 t ground mustard
1.5 t ground pepper
2 T onion flakes
4 strips bacon, cooked & crumbled
4 T green onions, chopped
hot sauce

In a medium bowl, toss together cheeses with flour. Set aside. Heat fondue pot to medium-high heat and pour in beer, worcestershire, horseradish, and garlic. Stir and cook until bubbly. Add cheese mixture a little at a time, stirring until smooth. Stir in mustard, pepper, onion flakes, bacon, and green onions. Sprinkle hot sauce to your desired heat. Turn heat on the fondue pot to medium-low and eat immediately.

Recommended dippers: cubes of bread, carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, and green apples.

PS) This is the last recipe post I'll be sharing before my 12 Days of Christmas recipe series... it's very closely related to fondue! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment