Tomorrow marks the beginning of a new year and I'm so looking forward to a fresh start! Many things about 2013 have been wonderful, but I've experienced many personal challenges as well. I am excited at the changes 2014 will bring for me! The following survey I've been filling out on New Years' Eve since 2004, which makes this the tenth year in a row! Read on for a little recap of my year and compare it to what 16 year old Hannah had to say all those years ago (noted in green italics on some of the questions).
1. What did you do in 2013 that you'd never done before? I made salsa for the first time. I know that's not exciting, but I couldn't think of anything else to say...
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions and will you make more for next year? I'm not a big fan of the word "resolution," so I never make any. But I am planning to set some goals to work towards in 2014.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? My oldest friend Brittani gave birth to a little girl this year! I can't wait to meet her.
4. Did anyone close to you die? My Grandpa Leinbach passed away in October.
5. What countries did you visit? Brandon and I took a cruise to the Bahamas in May. (England, Italy, France, and Spain) <-- Dang! It took me 9 years to leave the country again.
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013? I want to have my own professional website.
7. What date(s) from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? We took Schmidt home on January 27th, Brandon and I celebrated our first anniversary on May 9th by getting the keys to our new rental home and dining at Milner's, I felt a wave of relief wash over me on May 11th, the day we left for a weeklong vacation, and after many long months I received a new job offer on December 3rd (also my Dad's birthday!).
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Learning how to be an effective manager.
9. What was your biggest failure? I am still working on my thesis so I can officially finish graduate school.
10. Did you suffer any illness or injury? Nothing, thankfully!
11. What was the best thing you bought? SCHMIDT!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Mine, sometimes (My own) <-- I'm so smug!
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Mine, sometimes
14. Where did most of your money go? Rent. It's evil.
15. What did you get really, really, really, excited about? I was excited about our cruise before the year even started. That was a big one! I was also absurdly excited about: The Great Gatsby coming out, going to the beach with my family, Schmidt's first birthday, and my new job.
16. What song will always remind you of 2013? Well, here's 20 of them! The #1 would probably be Ten Thousand Hours by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis. I listened to it on repeat on my drive to and from work for days on end. Just that one song! I'm pretty sure it's what's on in my car right now.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. Happier or sadder? I'm not sure, to tell the absolute truth. (Happier)
ii. Thinner or fatter? Fatter! (Thinner)
iii. Richer or poorer? Poorer! (Richer)
18. What do you wish you'd done more of? Working on my thesis for grad school (same answer as last year).
19. What do you wish you'd done less of? Complaining.
20. How did you spend Christmas? Brandon and I spent Christmas Eve and Christmas morning alone, at home. That's something totally new to me! We had Christmas lunch with my family and Christmas dinner with his.
21. Did you fall in love in 2013? I hope so, otherwise my husband is gonna be mad at me!
22. What was your favorite tv program? I spent way too much time watching tv this year. My absolute favorite new shows are Scandal and The Walking Dead. I hadn't seen either one before this year! But I also watched the entire series of Gossip Girl and all of Parks & Recreation this year as well. Both are amazing. Oh and I went through the first two seasons of American Horror Story and watched an absurd amount of Duck Dynasty. I'm currently watching Pretty Little Liars on Netflix and it's great, too! Watching too much tv is 100% my worst habit! (The OC/One Tree Hill)
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? I try really, really hard not to hate anybody but there's one person who made the majority of my year absolutely miserable and I'm not her biggest fan.
24. What was your greatest musical discovery? Macklemore. Duh. (The Beach Boys)
25. What did you want and get? A puppy, a DSLR camera, to become a 'regular' at our local Melting Pot, a new job, and to visit the Biltmore House at Christmas.
26. What did you want and not get? To go to Disney World and a blog design that I am totally in love with. (A tattoo) <-- Don't worry, little Hannah! You got one in 2006.
27. What was your favorite film of the year? The Great Gatsby. It was everything I hoped it would be. (The Notebook)
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 25 on June 10th. The day before, my two best friends came to Greensboro and we had brunch together before having cheesecake at my house. On my actual birthday I had to work, but my co-workers made the day so special by decorating my office with flamingos and Hawaiian leis and buying me a delicious Maxie B's birthday cake. Brandon and I went to dinner at Green Valley Grill that night.
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? I would have felt happier and less depressed if I'd had a different job for most of the year. But I wouldn't have learned as much or made such close friends! Things ultimately worked out like they should have. (My own car)
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013? I wanted to buy all the fancy things I couldn't afford. Every day. All the time. (Lacking)
31. What kept you sane? Laura Brewer. Every day. All the time. Also: my other friends/co-workers and my dog.
32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? You should know who he is before you even click this link.
33. Who did you miss? Old friends.
34. Who was the best new person you met? Does Schmidt count? Okay, if he doesn't count then my answer is Melissa and Kaitlyn. They became my co-workers this year and are now my friends.
35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013: I learned to never stop doing my best just because someone doesn't give me credit.
36. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year: "Settle down, it'll all be clear // The trouble it might drag you down // If you get lost, you can always be found // Just know you're not alone // Cause I'm gonna make this place your home." (Homeward Bound/Home, Glee Cast - original lyrics from Phillip Phillips)
So there you have it: my 2013 in a nutshell. I'll finish up work today, attempt to stay awake with Brandon until our 10 pm dinner reservation at the Melting Pot, ring in the new year with fondue (really, is there any better way?), and wake up tomorrow to a beautiful day full of opportunity. Cheers!