Sunday, September 8, 2013

Afternoon in Old Salem

I was born and (mostly) raised in Winston-Salem, NC and it's still one of my favorite places. Old Salem, a historic Moravian settlement, is the biggest 'tourist attraction' around and though I've visited many times, my dad's office is located there, and I got married there last year I haven't actually toured the buildings since I was a kid.

A couple of Saturdays ago I invited my friend Jennifer to meet up, grab some lunch at the Tavern, and explore Old Salem. We had a great time!


This was the first time I had dined at the Tavern since it was closed for extensive renovations last year. I was impressed! I loved the atmosphere and the food was great. I can't wait to go back for a date night with Brandon. After a bite to eat, we started our tour. It was a lot of fun seeing Old Salem as a tourist!

There are many historic buildings open to tour, with attendees in period costumes to tell you stories of Old Salem and its Moravian inhabitants. When I was a kid I attended their 5 Yesterdays summer program each year, so I already knew a lot about the history of the settlement. It's such a unique place!


If you're in the Winston-Salem area, take a few hours (a leisurely afternoon, perhaps) to visit Old Salem. Tickets are $20 for adults and $10 for children and there are many special events throughout the year that are a lot of fun! I'm hoping to visit again during the Christmas season!

2 comments:

  1. amazing pics by the way!!

    i met and had dinner (well he was at my table at a cooking competition?) with the chef and co-owner of the tavern a few months ago! he was awesome, told me all about the renovations and changes to the menu. i need to go there soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was great! i still secretly dislike them since they nearly ruined my wedding reception... but that was a lady i was dealing with so maybe she's not there any longer?

      Delete