Monday, August 26, 2013

National Dog Day

My co-worker informed me this morning that it's National Dog Day. I was skeptical at first because it seems like there are at least 5 dog-related holidays every single month. However, I did my research and found a website proving that today, in fact, is a special day. Here's some things I've learned since becoming a dog mom in January:


1. You are never alone. It doesn't matter where I am in the house, Schmidt wants to be with me. This includes the shower. He seems to be worried that the shower curtain has stolen me away so he will sit patiently on the bath mat waiting for my return. Very different from the days after we first brought him home when he'd sit in the middle of the living room floor and never move an inch, even when I left the room.

2. Dogs are just. so. cute. Even when Schmidt is being a terrible puppy, he's so cute. I can't stand it. How can you yell at a little pup who just wants to smile and lick your face repeatedly? You can't. And when you do, prepare to feel awful about it. Good thing dogs are such forgiving friends.

3. Toys don't stand a chance. Since Schmidt joined our family I am buying him new toys twice a month. Nothing lasts. If you follow me on Instagram you've seen some of my toy complaints. While thankfully Schmidt doesn't chew on any of our personal items, he destroys his toys. The only thing I've found that is indestructible that he loves is a deer antler. Go figure.

4.You take more pictures. Because of #2 above I've taken roughly a half a million more photos with my iPhone than I was taking this time last year. Schmidt sleeping. Schmidt sitting. Schmidt with toys. Schmidt with a new haircut. Schmidt in the car. Schmidt outside. Schmidt and Brandon. Schmidt and me. So many photos!

What have you learned from being a dog owner? I'd love to hear!

1 comments: