Monday, July 29, 2013

Boone, NC Mini Vacation #2

Last summer, Brandon and I took an overnight trip to Boone and had such a great time that I decided it should become an annual tradition! When I left Boone two years ago I was ready to live somewhere else. I was happy to be finished with college and I couldn't wait to start a new adventure. Now, when I visit, it feels nice. I enjoy taking Brandon to my old favorite places and discovering things I had missed during the 5 years I lived there.


BOONE AGENDA


We weren't able to leave for Boone until after work on a Friday, so we were pretty late getting to town. There was the threat of rain all weekend and it sprinkled a bit on our way in, leaving a double rainbow in the sky as we checked into our room. It didn't rain the rest of our trip! After we grabbed dinner in Blowing Rock, we went straight to sleep because we were both exhausted from the week and wanted (okay, at least I wanted) to get up early the next day.


Beacon Heights was on my list of places to visit, so we woke up early and drove down the parkway to check it out. I had been there once before and remembered it was an easy, short hike for an incredible view. It did not disappoint! The clouds over the mountains were beautiful!


After a quick trip back to our room for showers, we were off again for the rest of the day. We visited my favorite antique store in Boone where I found an old Coca-Cola crate in perfect condition for $12 along with a new serving dish and a Boone license plate to hang on the wall outside my office. Because my friend Jennifer now lives in Boone, she was able to meet us at Black Cat for lunch. If you're visiting town, you have to go here based on the photo of my lunch alone. Yum:


Though I lived in Boone for 5 years, I had never visited Magic Mountain Mini Golf, less than a mile from my apartment! We decided to give it a try and had so much fun! The course goes straight up a huge hill and back down again. It was very challenging! We followed up mini golf with lots and lots of shopping at the Tanger Outlets and in downtown Blowing Rock. The outlets were all having pre-4th of July sales. All of J.Crew was 50% off. All of it. I was in heaven.


Dinner at Hob Nob Farm Cafe was delicious as always (Brandon's first visit!) and we caught Man of Steel on the big screen afterwards. Yes, I'm now in love with Henry Cavill if you were wondering. On Sunday morning we drove out to Moses Cone Manor before returning to downtown for lunch at Knights on Main.


After lunch, back down the mountain we went. We had the perfect weekend getaway and I already look forward to doing it again next year!

0 comments:

Post a Comment