Thursday, July 18, 2013

A Bar for Babies

Several months ago my parents were having a yard sale and Dad called me to run through a quick list of my belongings they had cleared out of storage to sell. Did I want to keep anything? My general rule is that if I haven't missed it by now, chances are I won't go looking for it in the future. Sell whatever you want. He casually mentioned some pieces of furniture in the basement that he was going to price and add to the sale, one of which was my changing table from when I was a baby.

WAIT. I asked him to keep it. Nope, not because I plan on changing diapers on it. NEVER. Another idea was growing in my mind. Brandon and I had been slowly stocking up on bar supplies and were running out of room to keep them. Maybe, just maybe, we could turn that changing table into a bar. I'm still not sure how I connected the two in my head, but when we moved into our new place in May the plan was put into action and here's the result:


That's right, my parents used to change my diapers on that thing. Talk about a conversation starter while I'm making someone a drink!! The complete history of this piece is rather interesting. When Dad drove it over to the house he told us that it had actually been in the family for decades and was once meant for the kitchen, complete with a hutch, breadbox and built-in flour sifter. When I was born they removed the hutch and converted it into a changing table.

After my brother out-grew the changing table, it was placed on the front porch of our home in the mountains for several years as sort of a catch-all for our outdoor junk. When we moved back down the mountain it sat in our garage for a few years before relocating to the basement. It was white with chipped paint, was very dirty, and had wheels! Dad graciously painted it for us, reinforced the bottom piece of wood, and added some hardware. Voila! It's now the perfect bar.

The large compartment holds drinkware and extra bottles of club soda, ginger ale, etc. The drawers hold shot glasses, beverage napkins, and cans of pineapple juice and Coca-Cola. There's just enough room up top for our liquors and a few necessities.


What are these necessities, you ask? Paper straws, a gnome (I found him at Michaels on clearance for $2. Couldn't resist!), stirrers, and lemons + limes. I am so in love with our little bar and the funniest thing of all is that we aren't big drinkers! Out of 7 nights in a week I have a drink on 1 of them... maybe 1. But we certainly have the supplies to create perfect cocktails for friends. Guess it's time to invite some people over. :)

One final note on the "BAR" letters you see on the wall. I knew exactly what I wanted and was having trouble finding the letters to paint myself. I turned to Etsy and found the best shop to order from! Allie at Break for Bees created a custom listing for me and was so wonderful to work with. My letters arrived with adorable packaging and she even included some of her 'favorite things' plus a handwritten note in my box along with my order! Get creative and come up with a a space on your wall to fill with a word or name and let Allie hook you up!

Do you have an at-home bar? What cocktail recipes should I try next? I want to work my way through all of the ones that Elsie and Emma share over on A Beautiful Mess!

7 comments:

  1. This is a great idea!!! Looks great as a bar :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I thought it was pretty clever and unique!

      Delete
  2. Wow this is great! You should put this on pinterest ASAP! I love seeing DIY projects. It's cool to take an old piece of furniture (especially one that has been in the family so long like this one) and use it for a different purpose. I think it looks fabulous.

    Love the photography! And the "Bar" sign. CUTE!!

    Ginny
    www.buttergirldiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family happens to have a LOT of antique furniture pieces. Looks like I'll be finding uses for them for years to come!

      Delete
  3. OMG! I am loving this! Makes me want to go look for a changing table to turn into a bar. We used to host many parties and still hold a few through out the year, so this is really a great idea! I also love the "BAR" sign you have up. Definitely a cute add on.

    ride-thespiral.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a cute bar cart from IKEA that I really liked, but the changing table offered so much more space! :)

      Delete
  4. this really makes me want to find some of my baby items and make them into other things. lol. i have very few items left from my childhood because we ended up giving it away to family members. great idea to make your changing table into a bar. super jealous of your idea!

    marie (listeningratherthenspeaking.com)
    ps. would love to have your button on my side bar! contact if interested!

    ReplyDelete