Wednesday, June 26, 2013

RECIPE: Caramelized Scallops

I love scallops, love them. For a long time I assumed they were squishy, weird and flavorless but all of that changed when I finally tried them three years ago. Now I'll order them pretty much anywhere I can. I'm usually hesitant to try scallop recipes at home because they're quite expensive and there's not much room for error. When I saw this recipe on Pinterest, though, I knew I had to take the chance and try it. I'm so glad I did! These have an amazing flavor and aren't too difficult to make.


CARAMELIZED SCALLOPS (serves 2)
12 large sea scallops
freshly ground salt + pepper
4 T clarified butter
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c dry white wine
1 lemon, freshly juiced
1 T chopped parsley
chives, thinly sliced

Rinse and dry the scallops well. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Spread sugar on a plate and set aside. Heat a skillet on medium-high for 2 minutes. Add butter. When the butter begins to foam, work to prepare the scallops quickly. Coat one side of each scallop in sugar, then place sugar side down in the middle of the skillet. Sauté for 2.5 minutes. If sugar begins to brown too quickly, lower the heat.

Flip the scallops over and cook for another minute. Add white wine and lemon juice to the pan and cook for another minute and a half until liquid has reduced by about half. Transfer scallops onto a plate or serving dish and pour the pan juices on top. Garnish with chopped parsley and sliced chives. Serve immediately.

1 comments:

  1. Oh man, this looks good! Funny, scallops used to freak me out too!

    Carly
    www.lipglossandcrayons.com

    ReplyDelete