Saturday, May 4, 2013

Greatest Hits: Walt Disney World, 2000

This will be the last post in the first half of my Greatest Hits series. I started with the intention of writing 10 posts, but due to semester time constraints I'm only considering the first 5 for my final class paper. I'll write the other 5 in the coming weeks! No idea what I'm talking about? Read the introduction HERE. I've already shared with you 1/2/3/4 and I've saved one of my very favorite memories for last.


"Wasn't it beautiful when you believed in everything and everybody believed in you?" - Taylor Swift // Innocent

This story is simple. When I was 12 years old my family went on a vacation to Walt Disney World and it's the single happiest memory from my childhood. We went on regular beach vacations every year and visited Disney World a few other times as well, but this trip was different. We stayed at a cool resort, I rode the Tower of Terror multiple times in a row, we enjoyed a character breakfast with Winnie-the-Pooh characters, and we attended Mickey's Very Merry Christmas party. We even began pin trading on this trip and Mom, in particular, built up quite a collection in the years following our trip.

I don't share many intimate family details on my blog (you're welcome, Mom!), but those of you who know me in real life my know that my family has encountered our fair share of difficulties, especially since I 'grew up' and moved out of the house. This one vacation always reminds me of the happiness we felt when I was growing up.

Disney World markets itself as the 'happiest place on Earth' so it was only natural that I went expecting to have the best time ever. I was not disappointed. I didn't have to worry about school (oh, the struggles of 7th grade!), Dad didn't have to think about work, and the 4 of us were just together, enjoying each day. Disney pulls on this type of memory making in their commercials for the theme parks. Check out this 2012 commercial HERE. When it aired last year I couldn't get the song out of my head and found it very annoying but I watched it again today and cried. They couldn't have said it better. Did they secretly follow my family around the parks 13 years ago and get commercial ideas from us?

I've read over and over again that you'll cherish your childhood memories once they're gone and I realize now just how true that is. Sometimes Oftentimes I feel sad that I'll never go on a family trip to Disney World again. I'm glad that I have these memories to look back on with my family as Brandon and I begin making our own memories together (Which we started at Disney World! For our honeymoon!).

What's your favorite childhood memory? Any Disney-specific memories? Leave a comment and let me know. I could talk about Disney World for days on end.

**A note on the photo: This photo was taken in the Magic Kingdom, which was decorated for Christmas at the time we visited. We used it for our Christmas card that year. I couldn't find the original so I planned to scan the Christmas card. Then the scanner wouldn't work. So I took a photo of the copy of the original photo with my iPhone. That explains the terrible quality! Wasn't my brother (6 at the time) adorable?! I had braces and shorts that closed with velcro. Hah.

1 comments:

  1. I remember my very 1st Disney trip at 4 years old, it started my Disney obsession! Our 2nd family trip to Disney was when I was 12, and even though I had to have a tooth pulled the morning we were leaving it was still one of the best family trips we went on. Even though I was doped up on pain meds the entire time I was able to enjoy the rides and the hotel we stayed at was AH-mazing!I can't wait until we get to take my nephews on their 1st Disney experience (hopefully sooner then later). :)

    ReplyDelete