Friday, April 5, 2013

Sometimes They Come Back

Something has been on my heart and mind lately that I feel compelled to write about, so bear with me:

In late 2011/early 2012 I lost two of my good friends. They didn't pass away (so thankful for that!), but they both chose to remove themselves from my life for two separate, very different reasons. To say I didn't handle it well would be a gross understatement, just ask my husband. I dwelled on what happened and what I may have done wrong for months. I would put it aside for a while and then come back to one of the situations and get depressed all over again.

I spent far too much time wondering if they were thinking about me as much as I thought about them. I shed many tears. I talked to other friends who assured me that I hadn't done anything wrong, that said I should just let it go. But no matter what I did, I couldn't get over it.

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to see one of these friends for the first time in a year and a half. We met up for pizza at the Mellow Mushroom in town and I left so happy and thankful for a renewed friendship. Sometimes they come back. My advice to anyone reading is to be thankful for friends that come and respect those who go. And don't let dwelling on the past dictate your future.

I wanted to take a photo at lunch the other day, but it was pouring rain and freezing cold, so an old photo will have to do. Here's me + Hannah (yes, her name is Hannah, too!) at Universal Studios 8 years ago:


Hannah, if you're reading, thanks for the pizza date. And for being my friend.

3 comments:

  1. I'm in the same boat as you were. My BFF decided to not continue our friendship and just left. I too dwell. So thank you for giving me hope that things can change on a happier note

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been down this road several times before myself and it is never easy. It hurts when a friend just stops being there and never gives you a reason, or when the reasons don't make sense to you. Luckily my friendships have all been renewed too, except for one and I've just given up on it. There's nothing I can do to make that person see I was trying to always be there for her, even when I was going through struggles. Unfortunately you can't always please everyone and sometimes that ruins even the best friendships. :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's true, shannon. and i think that's something i've struggled with- trying to please everyone while taking care of myself! i'm lucky that things are so much better now. :)

      Delete