Thursday, April 11, 2013

Let's Go Thrift Shopping

Maybe it's just me, but I can't get this song out of my head. It's been out for a while now, so maybe I'm a little behind the times. At any rate, I was listening to it in my car this morning and was reminded that I have a story to share with you. It's actually the opposite of thrift shopping:


Yesterday when I got home from work I spent my entire evening sorting through my wardrobe. Brandon and I live in a very small apartment with a very small closet. I can't fit my winter wardrobe and my summer wardrobe in there at the same time, so I switch them out each season and store the clothes i'm not currently wearing at my parents' house. Even at that, I take up more than 90% of our closet space. Does anyone else have this problem? It's a good thing Brandon doesn't have a whole lot of clothes! On top of the closet space, we each have our own dressers. Let's just be honest here: I'm a bit of a shopaholic.

When I switch out my seasonal wardrobes I always decide carefully what to put away and what to get rid of. If I haven't worn it more than one or twice or if it doesn't fit, it's time to say goodbye. I went through my winter clothes and found a lot of things that I could part with. With a semi-clear closet, I moved on to unpacking my summer clothes.

As I sorted through skirts, dresses, shorts and blouses I found a lot of things that didn't need to stick around. I had 8 or so pairs of shorts that I literally hadn't worn in 2 summers. I found lots of dresses that are too short to wear to work and so on and so forth. I initially threw these in the 'Goodwill' pile but soon realized I was getting rid of some good stuff: J.Crew, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Gap, etc. Maybe I should take them to Plato's Closet? I gathered an entire tote-full of clothes and drove over to the store.

If you've been to Plato's Closet or a similar place where you can sell your clothes, you know that it's often hit or miss on whether or not they want your items. You also have to stay in the store while they go through your clothes, meaning that you're tempted to spend more money than you get back. If they're busy, sometimes you're stuck in the store for over an hour. I handed my tote over and browsed the racks. I tried on a few things, but put them back. If my goal is to clear out my closet, I certainly don't need to bring more clothes home.

When they wrote my name on the board (I only had to wait 20 minutes or so!) I went over to the register where they paid me $91 in cash for the items they were purchasing. BOOM. They handed back my tote of the items they didn't want and I left, happy to add some extra money to our cruise fund. All of the rest of my castaways are going to Goodwill today where someone else can find them while they're thrift shopping.

What do you do with unwanted clothes + accessories? Do you shop at Goodwill or Plato's Closet?

10 comments:

  1. Sometimes I love Plato's closet. Sometimes I don't. Depending on who does the buying...they can be REALLY picky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so true! i think i just got really lucky this time because i had a lot of summery dresses. i get overwhelmed when i'm shopping there for myself because they have SO many items.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness I have that same problem! The boyfriend and I just moved to a new apartment and the closet is half the size of the last one. I was already switching out my clothes for the seasons (storing them in space saver bags under the bed) so this was killer. The boyfriend gets a half of a bar and I took the rest of the closet. We both have our own dresser too.

    I've never had any luck at Plato's closet....they always want to give me like $6 so I rather just give my nice stuff away to someone who'd actually like and wear it!

    Also, I've started using a site called itsdeductible.com. You just log in everything you donate to goodwill or whichever charity you choose and it will calculate your donation for tax credit. If you use turbo tax to do your taxes it automatically adds it to your return!

    Glad to know I am not the only one with this issue :)

    Justine
    http://sleepysinglegirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey justine! thanks for the comment and for the recommendation for itsdeductible.com! i had never heard of that before. i'm definitely going to check it out.

      Delete
  3. this is so perfect. we have a place like that here (we have plato's too), called Runway and it's my favorite! you always feel so good when you get $$ back! Yay for $91 smackers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO JEALOUS. I went to a Plato's closet in Raleigh and only got like 7 bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm jealous, the most I've ever made at plato's or uptown cheapskate is $20!! I definitely take a lot of stuff to Goodwill yearly, and I also call up friends before taking the clothes to see if any of them need clothes. My bff Katy got a whole summer wardrobe from me one year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i don't have any friends here who are my size or i might have done the same thing! i ended up not going to goodwill but instead giving my mom all of the rest of the clothes because she donates them to the kidney foundation.

      Delete
  6. i do look for things at goodwill but most times i don't find clothes.

    ReplyDelete