Wednesday, March 6, 2013

RECIPE: Filet Bourguignonne

It's been nearly two months since I posted a recipe... the longest hiatus in my blog's history! So let me assure you that I picked an absolutely incredible recipe for my triumphant return. I pulled this from Cooking Light magazine and decided to try it on Saturday evening. Schmidt, my only company at the time, was very impressed. :) I'm positive that it's one of the best things to ever come out of my kitchen.


FILET BOURGUIGNONNE (serves 4)
1 c frozen pearl onions
1 lb filet mignon, cut into 2-inch pieces
1/4 t salt
1/4 t pepper
2 T butter
2 slices bacon, chopped
1 8 oz. pkg mushrooms (i used baby bella slices)
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1/2 t chopped fresh thyme
1/2 t sugar
2 t tomato paste
1/2 c pinot noir
1 c low-sodium beef broth
2 T water
2 t flour

Place onions in a microwave-safe bowl and cover with a paper towel. Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Finely chop one of the cubes of beef and set aside. Pat dry remaining beef cubes with a paper towel and sprinkle with salt & pepper.

Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Melt 1 T butter in the pan. Add beef cubes and saute for 3 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove from pan. Add the finely chopped beef and bacon to the man and saute for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and continue to cook for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add garlic, chopped thyme, and sugar. Saute for one minute, stirring constantly. Add tomato paste and continue to cook. Add wine and allow to boil until liquid is reduced by about a half. Add onions and broth and cook for a few more minutes. Whisk together 2 T water with flour and add to the skillet. Return beef cubes to the skillet and cook for a few minutes until they've heated through and are the appropriate degree of doneness.

Serve over mashed potatoes with sprinkled thyme on top.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. you should make it and tell me what you think! my cast iron skillet set off the smoke detector once, but the food was well worth it. ;)

      Delete