Sunday, January 6, 2013

Day Trip to the Triangle

Brandon had last Sunday off of work, so we decided to take a little day trip to the east. I really wanted to visit A Southern Season in Chapel Hill, so Brandon blindly agreed to go. I used to visit A Southern Season with my mom and Grandmere when I was a kid. I described it to Brandon as a specialty gourmet foods store, but it is so much more than that now!


We arrived in Chapel Hill a little after 11 am and planned to have lunch at Weathervane, a restaurant attached to the store. The food was delicious, but very expensive. Take a guess at how much this appetizer of four delicious pimento cheese fritters was:


$8!!! Or, to make it really sound bad, $2 each! After lunch we went into the store, which was massive! They had tons of fresh coffee and a coffee bar... a bakery, deli, soda shoppe bar, candy/chocolate bar, wine bar, and even an entire wall of chocolate. Yes, a whole wall. I took a picture:


I wanted to buy everything in sight... and we didn't even look at any of the kitchen wares, fine soaps & lotions, toys, or accessories. The entire aisle of hot sauces was pretty impressive, though:


In the end, we bought some white cheddar cheese, scrabble mugs, a birthday card, and a Hello Kitty Pez dispenser for Emma. The entire store was having a 25% off sale so, in retrospect, we should have bought more! I think we were just too overwhelmed at the sheer volume of merchandise.


Our next stop was the UNC Chapel Hill campus, less than 10 minutes away. We walked around for a little while, but it was very, very cold!


So we hopped back in the car and drove to Durham to visit Duke University- I had never been there before!


OH it was such a gorgeous campus! I really wanted to visit the chapel and was happy to find that it was open to visitors.


Our last stop of the day was to visit Maggie Moo's in Raleigh. Maggie Moo's was my first job when I was 16, so I'm pretty partial to their ice cream. Driving to Raleigh to get a Maggie Moo's milkshake is totally worth it.

We were back in Greensboro in time for dinner and we both agreed that our day trip was a great success. Can't wait for our next one! Where should we go?

0 comments:

Post a Comment