Monday, December 31, 2012

(Almost a) New Year

It has undoubtedly been an incredible year in my life. When 2012 began, I had a boyfriend. Now I have a husband. Now I have a whole new family in addition to my own. I have a stepdaughter. When 2012 began, I was a teaching assistant. Now I have a full-time job with a salary and benefits. When 2012 began, I had a year and a half left of grad school. Now I'm down to 4 months. I've lost friends, gained friends, taken trips, spent money, watched a lot of tv, cooked some delicious meals, honeymooned, and so many more things. I even backed my car into my in-laws' house... my first "accident!" 

I planned a wedding, I set off the fire alarm in our apartment trying to cook a steak, and I finally got a flamingo. I saw my first IMAX movie, ate the most delicious butternut squash soup imaginable, made it through another 2 semesters of grad school, and was a bridesmaid in my friend's wedding. I even got elbowed in the throat while trying to take a photo of Khloe Kardashian at a work event in August (true story!). I attended 3 superb concerts: Mat Kearney, Coldplay, and NEEDTOBREATHE.

I spent a lot of time being sad and trying to understand why things change the way they do. I was stressed out, upset, and cried in front of my husband more times than he'd prefer. I made people angry and I was angry, too. I was never too sad to let any of the negativity outweigh the overwhelming positivity in my life. I blogged for the entire year and love it even more now than I did 365 days ago.

I first shared this survey on Flamingos in Raincoats last new year's eve, but I've actually been filling it out every year since 2004! I've changed a lot since age 16 and I love reading my old surveys every year.


{Chapel Hill, NC | December 30, 2012}

1. What did you do in 2012 that you'd never done before? I got married. I think that trumps anything else.

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions and will you make more for next year? I don't like to make resolutions. Each year I just hope to make positive changes in my life and have an even happier and more successful year than the year before.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Not this year!

4. Did anyone close to you die? My great aunt Frances died this year at age 95. I can't be sad about the death of someone who lived such a long, full life.

5. What countries did you visit? I didn't leave the USA this year!

6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012? A. PUPPY.

7. What date(s) from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? January 21 (the day I got engaged) and May 9 (the day I got married) were the best 2 days of my year by far!

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? I started my first full-time job while still in grad school!

9. What was your biggest failure? For several different reasons I spent a large part of my year questioning whether or not i'm a decent person to the people I care about. It made me pretty miserable at times.

10. Did you suffer any illness or injury? No!

11. What was the best thing you bought? I bought my own wedding dress 10 days before my wedding, which was pretty special. And I bought a cruise to the Bahamas for our first anniversary/grad school graduation. We set sail may 13th! 

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? I don't like question #12...

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? ...or question #13.

14. Where did most of your money go? Rent. Ugggh.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? In random order: getting engaged, getting married, honeymooning in Disney World, changing my last name, Granddaddy's birthday, my friend Dianna getting engaged, scoring an internship, scoring a full-time job, Market America International Convention, weekend getaway to Wilmington, and my blog redesign.

16. What song will always remind you of 2012? Probably too obvious of a choice, but "We Are Young" by Fun.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. Happier or sadder? Happier!!!!!
ii. Thinner or fatter? Fatter. Oops.
iii. Richer or poorer? Definitely richer.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of? Working on my thesis for grad school.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of? Being stressed out over everything imaginable.

20. How did you spend Christmas? We spent Christmas Eve with Brandon's family and Christmas Day with my family. Christmas morning was spent at home at our apartment opening our stockings, watching One Tree Hill and eating hash browns. :)

21. Did you fall in love in 2012? I was in love when the year started and I'm in love now. 

22. What was your favorite tv program? Brandon and I discovered Downton Abbey this year! 

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? I don't hate anyone!

24. What was your greatest musical discovery? See #16

25. What did you want and get? A new camera, to go to Disney World

26. What did you want and not get? A puppy, a better camera

27. What was your favorite film of the year? I really enjoyed The Hobbit and What to Expect When You're Expecting was surprisingly hilarious. Skyfall was the best by far.

28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 24 on June 10th. Brandon had to work during the day (how anticlimactic!) and we ate dinner with my family at Village Tavern at night. 

29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? I'm really not sure. It was a pretty great year!

30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012? I started a corporate job which made me feel fancy and also made me feel like I could afford fancy clothes.

31. What kept you sane? Brandon

32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Darren Criss

33. Who did you miss? At different points in the year: Hannah, Amanda, Meghan, Meridith, Jennifer

34. Who was the best new person you met? Kerri and all of my other co-workers (note: I'm typing this on my lunch break and Laura, a co-worker, is sitting next to me saying "meeeeeeeeeeee!")

35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012: You can't make everybody happy all the time.

36. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year: "Oh, and you and I know all too well about the hell and paradise right here on earth." (Life, The Avett Brothers)

1 comments:

  1. I'm glad I finally have time to sit down and catch up on your blogs (and hopefully write a new one myself), I loved reading your answers, for some reason I've always been incredibly addicted to filling out surveys about personal life. lol

    ReplyDelete