Wednesday, December 19, 2012

12 Days of Christmas Cookies: Oreo Snowball


My co-worker Andrew has been the official taste tester of this project and I haven't heard him complaining very much...

..until I made these cookies. When he first tasted one, he was not happy. He was not happy because they were so delicious he knew that no other cookie could ever compare. True story! With that disclaimer, here's the recipe. Make them right now. Go!


OREO SNOWBALL COOKIES (2 dozen)
1 pkg. regular Oreos
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 bag white chocolate chips (maybe more!)
sprinkles (optional)

Crush Oreos. There are many ways to do this. I put them all in a gallon-sized bag and hit them repeatedly with a plastic tumbler. You could also use a food processor if you're fancy. Combine Oreos and cream cheese. There are also many ways to do this. The original recipe I followed suggested a blender. I used my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. I'm sure a hand mixer would work just as well. Come to think of it, using your hands would work well, too.

Roll into balls, about the size of a walnut. You can really do whatever size you want since you're not baking them. Place on wax paper on a cookie sheet and stick in freezer to harden for at least an hour. Once hard, melt white chocolate in the microwave or in a double boiler. Stick a toothpick in each Oreo ball and dip them in the melted chocolate to coat.

If you'd like, sprinkle some of the Oreo balls with sprinkles (or coconut!). Chill or freeze until chocolate is set. Serve and wait for a spectacular reaction. ;)

Hannah's cookie note: Ok, can someone help me with dipping things in chocolate? It began to harden too quickly, so the chocolate got globby (apparently that's not a word according to Blogger) and wouldn't coat the Oreo balls smoothly. I also ran really low on chocolate and ended up using another half bag of chips because the coating was so thick. Help!

4 comments:

  1. We make these every year at my house and we ALWAYS have the problem of the melted chocolate becoming globby and not looking pretty. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While it takes more supplies, one hint is to use a crumb coat and then a final, "pretty" coat. :) Let the crumb coat harden first, and then in a separate bowl do the "pretty" layer.

    ReplyDelete