Friday, December 21, 2012

12 Days of Christmas Cookies: Gluten-Free Oatmeal


So far I've made 8 batches of cookies that have come to work with me to be distributed to my co-workers. My boss hasn't been able to eat any of them. Let me just say in the most eloquent of ways: It must suck not to be able to have gluten. Yup.

He asked me the other day if I was going to make a gluten-free cookie at any point and I was already way ahead of him! I had been planning to add a gluten-free recipe to the mix but just hadn't found one yet. This one originally came from Martha Stewart, who can do no wrong (with cookies at least, not with money).

As this is my first gluten-free baking attempt I'm not sure if I consider it a success or not. The cookies have a wonderful flavor but they either baked very flat or very crumbly. And the consistency kind of seems like scooping oatmeal out of a box and eating it without cooking it. Hmm... in my husband's words, "these taste like a big bowl of oatmeal in a cookie." He didn't follow up with whether that was a good thing or not. At any rate, I've written too much already so let's get to the recipe!


GLUTEN-FREE OATMEAL COOKIES (2.5 dozen)
4.5 c gluten-free old fashioned oats, divided
2 T cornstarch
1.5 t cinnamon
1 t gluten-free baking powder
1/2 t salt
2 sticks unsalted butter @ room temperature
3/4 c sugar
1/2 c packed light-brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 t vanilla extract
3/4 c chocolate chips
3/4 c raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a blender or food processor, process 1.5 c oats into a fine meal. Whisk them together with cornstarch, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat together salt and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. With mixer on low, gradually add in dry mix until combined. Fold in remaining oats, chocolate chips and raisins.

Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop cookies into balls about 2 T in size and place on sheets at least 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies are golden brown around the edges, between 15-18 minutes. Cool on sheet for at least 2 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

Hannah's cookie note: The original recipe reminded me that although oats are typically gluten free, they may have been processed in facilities that handle wheat. It's best to find a package that specifies gluten-free on the label. In this case, that package was huge. Anybody want to have a gluten-free oatmeal party? I have lots of oats!

0 comments:

Post a Comment