Monday, November 5, 2012

Taylor vs. Matt

Yes, I am one of the 1.21 MILLION people who bought Taylor Swift's latest album during its first week. Okay, maybe I went to Target on my lunch break and bought it on its release day. Whatever.

I will say before I continue this post that I am a genuine fan of Taylor. I think she's talented and entertaining and her songs are very catchy. More than that, I think she's adorable and humble and I kind of want her to be my best friend. I've listened to her new album a few times through and I think it's pretty good.

When the song All Too Well came on, a line from it instantly jumped out at me. Taylor sings "and I forget about you long enough to forget why I needed to." It sounded all too familiar, if you ask me. In fact, it sounded just like my very favorite line from my very favorite Matt Nathanson song.

In I Saw, Matt sings "and I'll forget about you long enough to forget why I need to." Is that straight plagiarism? I think yes. Was it intentional? I think no. Matt seems to find it funny, considering his recent tweet:


I want to know what you think! You're welcome to share your thoughts on Taylor's copycat lyrics, but I really just want to know which song you prefer. Neither of these are official videos, by the way. So listen to the songs and ignore the images!



Who will it be? Taylor or Matt?

3 comments:

  1. I haven't heard either song, but when there is an obvious use from another song lyric, I say yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it was intentional either!! Love them both

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's funny, I hadn't heard anything about it. I'm definitely on the Taylor bandwagon too for the exact same reasons as you! Love her!

    ReplyDelete