Sunday, October 7, 2012

Dixie Classic Fair, Take 2


Let's be honest, I was literally counting down the days to the fair this year. I love the Dixie Classic Fair and had the best time last year! This year, I had high hopes that the fair would be even better than previous years. I purchased a photo shoot from our wedding photographer so that Brandon and I could take "newlywed" photos at the fair. I requested a paid time off day from work. We each bought new outfits to wear. I bought admission tickets and ride tickets two weeks in advance.

And then I was disappointed. Due to a "miscommunication," we were unable to do our photo shoot. Actually, disappointed is an understatement. Poor Brandon and my friends and co-workers have listened to me whine for the last week about not getting to do our photos.

We still wanted to go to the fair, even if we didn't get to have photos taken. After all, we had admission tickets and ride tickets already. We packed up after work on Thursday and drove to Winston-Salem, where we arrived at the fair to find NO PARKING. Every official lot was completely full and closed off. Every side lot was full. Every person who charges $5 to park in their front yard had full yards! Traffic was bumper to bumper as people searched for places to park. It looked miserable. We decided to drive right on past, grab some dinner at Mellow Mushroom, and return on a later date when it would be less crowded.


We planned to go today (Sunday), but the forecast said 60% chance of rain so I decided it might be better to brave the Saturday night crowds instead of getting drenched for our entire time there. So we went yesterday. The lots weren't full, so we assumed that was a good sign. The lines to buy tickets were ridiculous and I reminded Brandon that he has the best wife ever for buying ours ahead of time.

First, we ate. Beef tips with mashed potatoes, mushrooms, and onions. Pretty fancy for the fair, eh? I chuckled when I realized that this "fancy" meal was served in tin foil envelopes:


As we made our way over to the midway, we realized that it was, in fact, extremely crowded. Miserably crowded, if you will. The most crowded i've ever seen it. Get the picture? The lines were long for every ride and it was difficult to navigate through the throngs of people.


We went to the expo building so that I could buy my favorite dip mixes that I pick up every year, then set out again thinking (mistakenly!) that the lines might have gotten shorter in our absence. Wrong! We decided that the lines were officially worse than Disney World.


I tried briefly to get Brandon to go on these high flying swings with me. He wasn't interested in screaming like a little girl and possibly crying. Darn.

(Thanks to Martha for letting me borrow her jacket in exchange for our extra admission ticket. I was cold!)

We walked around, debated standing in line for rides, grabbed a deep fried pb&j and deep fried oreos, and ended the night on the carousel. Two little girls in front of us didn't have enough tickets left to ride, so I used some of ours for them. We still came home with $10 in unused tickets.


I hate that I didn't have as great of a time as I had hoped for this year. Guess that means I'd better start counting down to next year's fair soon! ;)

6 comments:

  1. i wanted to try the deep fried kool-aid but didn't find the booth! bummer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what we REALLY wanted were deep fried girl scout cookies but apparently those are only at the state fair. boo! i didn't see deep fried butter this year, either.

      Delete
  2. Fried snickers are awesome! It's like a snickers bar wrapped in a funnel cake! I'm sad we missed out on the fair this year. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well good thing it will come back next year! :) i read about the state fair having deep fried girl scout cookies and i REALLY want to try those! ;)

      Delete
  3. i didn't get to go to a fair this year. but the crowds of people ruin it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, we are going to do everything possible next year to go during the day when it's less crowded!!

      Delete