Wednesday, October 10, 2012

RECIPE: Braised White Beans

One of the first restaurants I fell in love with when I moved to Greensboro was Zoe's Kitchen. They describe themselves as "Mediterranean inspired comfort food" and offer great kabobs, wraps, and sandwiches. I loved getting their Greek salad as my side dish until I discovered their beans.

Zoe's serves the best braised white beans ever. I've never had white beans anywhere else, so I don't have anything to compare them to. But they're pretty darn good! Here's a "copycat" recipe that I found online and tweaked a bit. Make sure you have your crock pots ready!



BRAISED WHITE BEANS (serves 6)
4 cans white beans, drained (I used 2 great northern and 2 cannellini)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 yellow onion
1 T dried rosemary
1/4 c olive oil
1 c chicken broth
salt & pepper to taste

Finely chop the onion. Add all ingredients to a crock pot and allow to simmer on low for as many hours as you can. Mine simmered for a whopping 11 hours, but I don't really think that's necessary. With one hour remaining, mash a third to half of the beans white a potato masher to create a thicker texture. Add more rosemary and salt and pepper to taste, if you wish. Serve as a side dish for any meal!

0 comments:

Post a Comment