Thursday, October 4, 2012

RECIPE: Penne with Roasted Asparagus and Balsamic Butter

This week's recipe is one I found on Pinterest months and months ago. I pinned it because i thought my best friend might like to make it someday. Last week, I decided to go ahead and make it myself. It's super easy and makes a LOT of food... great for if you're having guests over!


PENNE WITH ROASTED ASPARAGUS AND BALSAMIC BUTTER (serves 4)
1 lb asparagus
1 T olive oil
2 t salt
1/2 t fresh ground pepper
1/2 c + 2 T balsamic vinegar
1/2 t brown sugar
1 lb penne pasta
1/4 lb butter, cut into pieces
1/3 c grated parmesan cheese

Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Trim your asparagus down to 1 inch pieces. Put the asparagus on a baking sheet and toss with oil, and 1/4 t each of the salt and pepper. Roast until tender, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, put the vinegar in a saucepan. Simmer until about 3 T remain. Stir in the brown sugar and the remaining pepper. Remove from heat.

Cook the penne in a large pot of boiling water, until just tender, about 13 minutes. Drain the pasta and toss with butter, asparagus, balsamic, parmesan, and remaining salt. Serve with additional parmesan shavings on top if desired.

I's important (not) and funny (yes!) to note here that I used THREE different types of pasta in my dish. I had a partial box of whole wheat penne, a partial box of rigatoni, and a partial box of rotini. Guess what: it tastes exactly the same... delicious!

0 comments:

Post a Comment