Friday, September 7, 2012

The Time we Grilled in the Rain

The forecast was calling for rain; let me start by saying that. But who pays attention to forecasts, unless it's their wedding day? Brandon and I had already decided to grill out for dinner and we'd had chicken marinating in italian dressing for over 24 hours. The grilling was happening, rain or shine.

You're not allowed to have personal grills on your porch at our apartment complex, which is fine because there isn't room. There are several charcoal grills located on the property for tenants to use and a gas grill to use at the pool. The closest one to us is across the parking lot at the "playground." I say playground in quotation marks because it's not much. What kind of a playground doesn't have swings? Anyway, I'm getting off track.

We Brandon started grilling while I carried everything outside. Our menu? Chicken, green pepper, and onion skewers, grilled white corn, turkey kielbasa, and grilled cheesy bacon potatoes. I found the potato recipe on Pinterest and was really excited to try it.


The skewers were finished first, so I'll call them the appetizers. (Although I actually had Flavor Blasted Goldfish for an appetizer... fancy!) The kielbasa was the second course. The potatoes were taking forever and the corn was still on the grill when it started to sprinkle. And then rain. And then rain harder.

I REALLY didn't feel like carrying everything back into the apartment, so I turned to the sad little playground. We would seek shelter there. Doesn't it look cozy?



Brandon finished up the corn and cursed the potatoes while I stayed dry:


We enjoyed our corn from our very own clubhouse, complete with spider webs! No wonder I never see any kids playing on it. When the rain stopped the potatoes were FINALLY ready. We'll call them dessert.


And that, my friends, is the time we grilled in the rain. A happy memory. :)

11 comments:

  1. way to go on grilling rain or shine! haha. I went running rain or shine...and it started raining on me halfway during my run. ha.
    by the way, cute apartments....sometimes I miss the apartment life...it was just our first home after the hubs and I got married and I enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love our apartment but unfortunately our 800 square feet isn't big enough for all of our stuff! i look forward to the day when we find a house to rent (and ultimately one day we'll buy our own) with more than 1 bedroom and a yard! :)

      Delete
  2. Thats epic if I tried to grill in the rain id continue for about two minutes then I'd just give up.....that is if I knew how to grill XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think you kind of reach a point where you might as well stand in the rain because it would be a pain to bring the food back inside and try to finish it in the oven, haha.

      Delete
  3. This is so cute! And the food looks absolutely deelish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i had never had grilled corn before and it was so good! turkey kielbasa is surprisingly flavorful... we eat it all time time!

      Delete
  4. All the grilled goodies look delish! I have never grilled corn before, I might have to try that. Love your blog and I am your newest follower. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delish! I love grilled yummies. :)

    Following from GFC blog hop. I'd love it if you could follow back and join us for the Weekend Blog Walk at At Home Take 2.

    Jessica @ At Home Take 2
    http://www.athometake2.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Y'all are such troopers! It all looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmm! All of that looks TOTALLY worth sticking it out in the rain. :)

    ReplyDelete