Sunday, July 8, 2012

Hannah in Atlanta

At the beginning of last week my friend George and i drove to Atlanta to see one of our favorite bands in concert. I had a wonderful time and, of course, Coldplay did not disappoint.

When we arrived in Atlanta, we immediately checked into our hotel. I highly recommend the Hilton Garden Inn if you're doing an overnight in Atlanta. It is across the street from the Georgia Aquarium and the World of Coca-Cola, and only a couple of blocks away from CNN Center and Philips Arena. We parked the car once and were able to walk anywhere we needed to go.


... and this was the view from my room. not too shabby, eh?

We spent monday afternoon at the World of Coca-Cola, which I found wildly hilarious because George does not drink soda. 


I visited the museum in 2010 and not much has changed except for the addition of the vault... a real (?) vault where the secret formula for Coca-Cola is housed. It moved from a bank to the museum last winter. George and I debated whether or not the formula was actually there or if it is a genius a marketing stunt. Guess we'll never know.

The main event of the trip, of course, was the Coldplay concert. I could probably sum up the awesomeness of the concert by saying that it started with Jay Z's "99 Problems" blaring from the speakers, followed by the theme from Back to the Future, followed by nearly a two hour performance. ;)


When we arrived, we were each given a wristband and we were told to put it on and that it would be part of the show. Very curious, no? If you want to read more about them, look here. As the band took the stage for the first time, this happened:


I couldn't believe the brilliance of these little wristbands that were controlled by a remote source. They were turned on and off and they could be made to light up solid or blink along with the beat of the music. They entire arena was breathtaking when they were lit. Watch the first minute and a half of this video to see them in action. Oh, and there was confetti. Lots of confetti.


My favorite song they did at this show was "In My Place." I was disappointed that they didn't perform "Strawberry Swing" (mentioned before the concert) but everything they did perform was perfect, as always. 


Chris, Jonny, Will, and Guy: you are such talented guys. Thank you for an unforgettable night.


How's that for a dramatic shift in images? We visited the Georgia Aquarium on Tuesday morning before we left Atlanta. Did you know that it is the largest aquarium in the entire world?


Atlanta was a lot of fun and a nice break in the middle of my summer. I'm looking forward to going back again and of course to seeing Coldplay again. :)

8 comments:

  1. I was in Atlanta at the same time you were! We stayed at Embassy Suites. So many people went to the Coldplay concert and loved it! I'm not a huge Coldplay fan, but I've really enjoyed their music over the past few years. I'm sad I missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh these pics are amazing...especially the ones from the concert and the aquarium!! Those wristbands are neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing photos :)
    you must had an amazing time!!

    http://bubblemylicorice.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i checked out your blog and i love it! thanks for dropping by! :)

      Delete
  4. this concert looked amazing!! looks like you had a wonderful time :)

    ps. I just discovered your blog today, and I love it! I'm moving to north carolina soon too. I look forward to following your blog more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kelli! where will you be living in nc? if you'll be near greensboro, let me know. i'd love to meet up with a fellow blogger! :)

      Delete