Wednesday, July 11, 2012

RECIPE: Gorgonzola Crusted Steak with Port Wine Sauce

I decided to try something new in the kitchen. This isn't surprising because I try new things in the kitchen all the time! What is surprising, though, is that I decided to make steak. I've never done a steak before and I was pretty nervous about it! Brandon and I dined at Lucky 32 earlier in the summer and his steak was phenomenal, so I decided to try something similar. The results were absolutely amazing. I can't wait to make this again soon!


GORGONZOLA CRUSTED STEAK (serves 2)
2 6-8oz sirloin steaks
1/4 c crumbled gorgonzola
1/8 c panko breadcrumbs
1 T fresh chopped parsley
1/2 stick butter
1 T olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine gorgonzola, breadcrumbs, and parsley in a small bowl. Set aside. Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper. Melt butter and olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add steaks to skillet once skillet is screaming hot. Sear steaks for 2-3 minutes on each side. Continually spoon butter over steaks throughout the process. Place skillet in oven on the center rack for 6-8 minutes depending on how thick your steaks are. Turn oven to broil and top steaks with cheese mixture. Broil until cheese begins to brown. Steaks are ready when the internal temperature reaches 135 degrees.

PORT WINE SAUCE
3 T butter
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large shallot, minced
1 t thyme
3/4 c beef broth
1/2 c port wine

Melt 2 T butter in a a small pot. Sauté garlic, shallot, and thyme until tender, about 5 minutes. Pour in broth and wine and bring to a boil. Boil for 10+ minutes until the sauce has reduced to around 1/2 c. Whisk in last tablespoon of butter. Serve warm with your steak.

Now, who can tell me how to not set off the smoke alarm every time I cook steak?

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. it is delicious! try it out sometime! :)

      Delete
  2. This is probably the best thing you've ever made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agreed. nom on this again soon? oh wait... you drank the rest of my port wine. :-p

      Delete