Monday, July 16, 2012

Boone, NC Mini Vacation

After a very exhausting week, Brandon and I both had two days off together this weekend. This wasn't some magnificent happenstance. I basically begged him to give someone else his Saturday shift and I requested to have Sunday free. Oh well, you do what you have to do to spend time together. Am I right?

We decided to head to Boone on Saturday and I am so glad we did! It was a wonderful time! First stop? Lunch at Macados. I have missed Macados so much since I moved to Greensboro a year ago!


After lunch, we checked out one of my favorite antique stores. I love looking at antiques, even if I don't buy anything!


Next up was a trip to Mast General Store in Valle Crucis. We only stayed long enough to pick up some drinks because it was extremely crowded. We should have known better than to visit Mast on a Saturday afternoon!


It was time to check into our room for the evening, so we drove up to Blowing Rock to the Alpen Acres Motel. Affordable lodging in the Boone/Blowing Rock area is hard to come by and I had read lots of great reviews of Alpen Acres on Trip Advisor. I'm so glad we booked a room at this quaint, old motel.


Our room was in a little cottage, separate from the main part of the motel. It was definitely nothing fancy, but I found it charming.


The sight of this bed prompted me to become incredibly tired, so we napped instead of doing any Blue Ridge Parkway exploring like I had intended. An hour later we were up and ready to go back into Boone for dinner at Char.


My scallops were delicious, Brandon's shrimp & grits were amazing, but this bruschetta is one of the best thing I've eaten in my entire life. I am going to attempt to re-create it later this week, so stay tuned! (Update: Find my recipe here!)


After dinner, we picked up some frozen yogurt and drove around Blowing Rock, looking at all of the gorgeous mountain homes. Maybe one day one of them will be ours!

On Sunday morning we ate breakfast at Dan'l Boone Inn. I think it was Brandon's favorite part of the entire trip! Dan'l Boone Inn is a famous local restaurant and I had never eaten there in all the of the years I lived in Boone! They serve family style, all you can eat meals and their breakfast was delicious!


After breakfast, we set out to explore the Heavenly Mountain Resort... and what an interesting time we had! I was initially interested in going to Heavenly Mountain because some of my friends had visited and taken some really amazing photos with the unique architecture on property. However, this...


... was the extent of our hour-long search. We were contemplating trespassing before a large hornet literally chased us into the car and banged itself repeatedly against the window!


After a long drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway and back down the mountain, we were back in the Piedmont, where we visited Chefsmart, home of the largest Rice Krispies Treat we'd ever seen:


After a dinner at Milner's, it was back home for a movie night: Safe House and The Proposal. I loved our mini vacation over the weekend. How was your weekend?

8 comments:

  1. I want that rice krispies treat!
    and that room was totally charming. so was the brushetta. I am so hungry right now ... if you can't tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am thinking of buying it for someone as a christmas gift this year. maybe my brother... haha. :)

      Delete
  2. I love Dan'l Bonne Inn! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you've been for dinner, right? was it good? brandon wants to go back and eat later in the day.

      Delete
  3. I lived in Boone for 4 years in college and never ate at the Daniel Boone Inn. I might have to try it next time I go to Boone for a visit! Love all these pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we really, really liked it. i left a review on trip advisor and the manager sent me a message thanking me! it's still a little expensive for lunch/dinner, but the breakfast is definitely a great deal!

      Delete
  4. I stumbled across your blog somehow and found this post! I'm an ASU grad from 2003. Heading up to Boone next weekend - we have season football tickets. What is Heavenly Mountain Resort? Never heard of it. Good photo ops up there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey amanda! enjoy the football game! i've only been to one game EVER! crazy, right? here's an article about heavenly mountain. it's pretty old, but still explains a bit about what it was/is: http://highcountrypress.com/weekly/2006/03-02-06/n_heavenly.htm. the photo ops there aren't that great. i'd much rather take photos at price lake on the parkway!!

      Delete