Tuesday, June 5, 2012

DIY: Banner Cake Topper


I decided months before the wedding that I wanted to make my own cake topper. We knew that we wanted a simple cake. I toyed with the idea of making the cake myself, but decided that might be too much stress at the last minute. Brandon and I decided to purchase our cake from Maxie B's, a bakery about 5 minutes from our apartment.

The cake was chocolate with plain white buttercream icing, so I really had free reign to make any kind of topper... It didn't have to match any particular design on the cake. I selected a bunting design and bought scrapbook paper with a pattern that matched our wedding colors of yellow and grey.

It is very easy to make your own banner cake topper. You'll need the following:
  • scrapbook paper
  • ruler
  • pencil
  • scissors
  • ink pen (or print your own letters- like i did)
  • 2 wooden skewers
  • bakers twine

1. Trace & cut your design
Draw a long triangle on your paper, using a ruler. Cut. Trace onto another section of paper and repeat until you have the number of triangles you need.


2. Type or write letters
What is your banner going to say? Each piece should have one letter or character on it. You can free write your letters or type them and cut them out, as a second layer on each piece. I already had a round scalloped paper cutter, so I just used that. I like the extra dimension that it added.

If you're adding a second layer, make sure to glue the two pieces together well. I used my new favorite product: Glue Dots!


3. Assemble the banner
Fold the base of your triangle pieces a tiny bit so that they hang over the twine. Glue them down.

4. Attach the rods
Tie each end of the twine to a wooden skewer, perhaps with a bow. :)


You now have a perfectly cute cake topper to use for your next occasion. Here's the final version of ours:


What's your favorite kind of cake topper? I also love these creative toppers:

(A slightly different DIY banner cake topper here)

0 comments:

Post a Comment