Wednesday, June 27, 2012

RECIPE: Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

I buy bananas... not because I eat them (though I don't find them objectionable), but because my husband does. What I fail to realize sometimes, though, is that a human can only eat so many bananas in one day and maybe I buy too many for him to consume before they go bad.

I was faced with a dilemma a few weeks ago: two very brown bananas were on my kitchen counter, in the way of everything I wanted to do. Trust me, in our apartment, counter space (or lack thereof) is a big deal. Should I throw them away? Should I beg Brandon for the millionth time to eat them?

No! I would make banana bread. And make banana bread I did. I grabbed a partial bag of chocolate chips from the pantry and went to town.


CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD (makes 1 loaf)
1.5 c flour
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/2-3/4 c chocolate chips
1 stick butter, at room temperature
1 c sugar
2 eggs
2-3 ripe bananas, mashed
1.5 t vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease your loaf pan (mine was a 9 inch). Whisk the first four ingredients in a bowl to blend. Beat butter in a large, separate bowl until fluffy. Gradually add sugar, beating until well combined. Add the eggs one at a time, continue beating. Add in bananas and vanilla extract. Gradually beat in flour mixture a little at at time. When well combined, fold in chocolate chips. Spoon batter into pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes.

6 comments:

  1. I won't eat banana bread without chocolate chips in it ... so I adore this post. why in the world would anyone make bread without chocolate anyways?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yummy!

    Just found your blog via Whispering Sweet Nothings, can't wait to read more!

    Carly
    www.lipglossandcrayons.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi there! :) i just started following your blog recently! glad you've found mine!

      Delete
  3. Hi there! I'm Tiffany, and I found you over at Whispering Sweet Nothings :] Your blog looks great! I'm your newest follower :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg, amazing! my German host family has never heard of banana bread! i need to make this :)

    hope you're having a great week!

    Bailey
    http://lostandfound-bailee.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete