Monday, May 28, 2012

A Rainy Wedding Day: Stationary

Ever since my friend Meghan got married in 2010 and designed her own invitations, I knew that someday I wanted to do the same. Not only is designing your own wedding stationary a fun way to be creative, it is also economical! I bought a big pack of card stock from Amazon for less than $15 and used it for everything (save the dates, invites, announcements, thanks you notes, menus, etc.) and I used one colored ink cartridge for everything as well. My splurge was on really nice envelopes from Paper Presentation.

I don't have any fancy software (aka: Adobe Creative Suite), so believe it or not, all of our wedding stationary was done using Microsoft Word! It is possible! Our colors were grey and yellow and I really wanted to incorporate my latest style inspiration: chevron.

SAVE THE DATES
I found a save the date design that I liked on Pinterest and pinned it to one of my boards months ago. I pulled it up again in January and designed our save the dates around it. Here's a good time to point out the obvious: for a wedding with less than 20 guests you really don't NEED save the dates and invitations. But I wanted to make them, so nobody tried to stop me. :)


INVITATIONS
The invites continued the grey/yellow color scheme and added the chevron detail. The fonts I used, by the way, were Adele and Volutes (both available free from dafont.com).


This photo makes me laugh because we ultimately did not get married in the Salem Square and did not have dinner at Salem Tavern. Oh well.

I read on another blog that you can send a wedding invitation to the President and receive a response. Brandon and I were curious, so we sent one to Barack and Michelle. Sure enough... when we came home from the honeymoon we had a note from them in our mailbox!


I think if I were the president I'd pick one random wedding to attend each year. Wouldn't that be fun to shock everybody?

ANNOUNCEMENTS
I checked theknot.com for advice about small weddings and decided that it was appropriate to send wedding announcements to some of my extended family and friends. They looked very similar to the invitations and the two different versions included lyrics from two of our favorite bands: The Avett Brothers and Mumford & Sons.



THANK YOU NOTES
The thank you notes I designed are small and simple. The part that is not simple is writing them all!

Check my next rainy day wedding post for a glimpse at my bridal portraits!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, all your stationary is just gorgeous but I REALLY love your thank you cards!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! the thank you cards were the easiest ones to make! i just drew lines in different directions and put little dots wherever i felt like. :)

      Delete