Saturday, May 26, 2012

A Rainy Wedding day: The Accident

Yes, it's true. I ripped my wedding dress. On the day of my wedding. Before the ceremony. I should have known something like this would happen, considering that the last important dress I nearly destroyed was my prom dress. (I tumbled down my staircase, ripping beads off of my prom dress when I was 16.) Here's how it happened:

As established in my last rainy wedding day post, it was raining cats and dogs on my wedding day. We were hoping that the storm would pass quickly, but rain fell very hard for a little over an hour. Then it continued to sprinkle, rain a tiny bit, rain normally, then sprinkle again on and off for the entire rest of the day.

The photographer and I had arranged to do some bridal portraits before the ceremony. When we were finished, she'd do some shots of just Brandon when he arrived. Old Salem is a gorgeous place for portraits, but the rain meant that we needed a covered place to take the photos. I quickly thought of Cedarhurst, a beautiful, stone building just up the street from my dad's office. 


I alternated between wearing my rain boots and wearing my yellow dress shoes for the photos. After the above shot was taken, I suggested climbing into the tall open window/archway to get a few more shots. I love the results!


What happened was pretty simple: as I stepped down out of the window, my heel caught in my crocheted dress and ripped it near the hem. Even better, it actually caused me to fall and land on one knee. It was a very graceful process! Haha. 

I stayed very calm and laughed a bit. I asked the photographer if she could fix it for me and she sweetly obliged. I remember telling her that it would make an awesome story to tell later. I called Dad to see if he had a safety pin at his office and he didn't! Then I remembered that I had a wishbone pin on my bouquet...


The wishbone pin originally belonged to my great grandmother. It was my "something borrowed" for the wedding. My mom wore it on her wedding day and had asked me to use it on mine. It was pinned to the ribbon wrapping my bouquet. I took it off, along with a straight pin that the florist had attached. Leah used the two pins to piece together the torn pieces of fabric and hold them in place. It ended up looking like this:


You could barely tell that it was ripped at all! The rather large tear was concealed perfectly and nobody noticed the pin near the bottom of my dress until I shared the story at dinner later in the evening.

Here's my advice: something might go wrong on your wedding day. Anticipate it and embrace it when it happens. Whether small or large, take it all in stride. At the end of the day, all you're going to care about is that you're married. The rest just makes up some good memories to recall later.

8 comments:

  1. Thats such a fun memory, I would have freaked out. Good for you for staying calm and making something sweet out of it! You look absolutely gorgeous, congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. um, you are adorable!!!!!!

    xo, ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, ashley! i love your blog and i'm so happy to be advertising there this month. my husband especially likes your glittery mustache graphic. :)

      Delete
  3. Your wedding dress is so pretty! I love it. I found you through Adventures of Newlyweds. I believe that I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi melissa! thanks for the compliment. here's a funny secret: my wedding dress was bought from macy's about 10 days before the wedding. i had a last minute change of heart with the original dress i planned to wear so i bought this one as kind of a back up. once i showed it to my mom we both agreed that i definitely needed to wear it on my wedding day! :) thanks for following!

      Delete
  4. This makes for a great story! And I loved your quick-fix solution...an equally adorable pin, and it wasn't just for decoration, but rather useful! I hope your wedding went off without a hitch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, ansel! i was very lucky to have that pin with me, attached to my bouquet! before we thought to use the pin, we called down to my dad's office to ask for a safety pin. my brother brought us a paper clip! ha, that definitely would not have worked.

      Delete