Sunday, March 25, 2012

RECIPE: Hot German Potato Salad

I can't remember now what first provoked me to test out this German potato salad recipe. It's served hot and has a heck of a lot of celery seed. On paper, it sounded iffy to me. But I am so glad I tried it out because now it's one of my favorite side dishes! It's a great accompaniment to pork or steak and it's excellent reheated as well.


HOT GERMAN POTATO SALAD (serves 4)
4-6 red potatoes
10 slices bacon
1/3 c chopped onion
2 T flour
2 T sugar
2 t salt
1/2 t celery seed
1/4 t pepper
1/2 c, 4 T water
6 T white vinegar

Boil potatoes (with skin) about 45 minutes, until tender. Drain and allow to cool almost completely. Slice thin. Cook bacon in skillet until brown. Crumble and set aside. Saute onion in bacon drippings until golden. In a small bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Add to onions in skillet. Stir until bubbly. Add in water and vinegar, then bring to a boil for 1 minute. Add potatoes and bacon and stir until well coated. Allow to heat through. Serve warm.


0 comments:

Post a Comment