Wednesday, February 1, 2012

RECIPE: Buttermilk "Fried" Chicken

I'm not a big fan of fried chicken. My generalization is that it's messy and greasy and really unhealthy. However, over a year ago I clipped a recipe for buttermilk "fried" chicken and decided to try it out sometime. I finally pulled the recipe back out over the weekend. "Fried" chicken that is baked in the oven with corn flakes for crispiness seems like something I can stand behind. :)


BUTTERMILK "FRIED" CHICKEN (serves 2)
3/4 c buttermilk*
1 T dijon mustard
3/4 t salt
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t pepper
1/2 t hot sauce
2 chicken breasts
2.5 c corn flakes, coarsely crushed
1/4 c bread crumbs
1/4 t poultry seasoning**
1/4 t paprika
pinch cayenne pepper
1 T vegetable oil

In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, mustard, half of the salt, half of the garlic powder, half of the pepper, and the hot sauce. Add chicken and turn to coat. Refrigerate for at least an hour. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a baking rack with nonstick cooking spray and place inside rimmed baking sheet.

Stir together corn flakes, bread crumbs, remaining salt, pepper, and garlic powder, poultry seasoning, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Stir in oil until blended. Remove chicken from marinade and dip in crumb mixture, pressing to adhere.

Place chicken on rack and bake for 45 minutes or until done. Note: Make sure to move the rack away from the top of the oven or the breading will burn. Spread a piece of tinfoil over breasts if the breading starts to darken too soon. This chicken was moist and very flavorful. I served it with a veggie casserole and mashed potatoes.

*I forgot to buy buttermilk. Did you know that you can make your own buttermilk by mixing 3/4 c regular milk with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice or vinegar? Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes to allow milk to sour. Saves you $$ and several calories I'd imagine!

**I didn't want to buy poultry seasoning, so I used Weber's Kick'n Chicken Seasoning. I highly recommend it!


1 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy Hannah...I just put that in my recipe file

    ReplyDelete