Sunday, March 20, 2011

something for sunday, etc.

“whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say it is well, it is well with my soul.”
my grandmother (“grandmere”) was an incredible individual. she inspired me to be the best possible version of myself and since she passed away in 2007 i have oftentimes wondered if she’d be ashamed of how i’ve lived my life, of the choices i’ve made. there is nothing i wish more than for her to be able to see me today. in the years since she’s been gone, i have sunk to my very lowest and brought myself back to who i know i am capable of being. when i am struggling or when my faith is faltering, i think of her and how peaceful she was, even in the lowest times of her own life.
grandmere’s favorite hymn was it is well with my soul. (for info on the origins of this song, read my friend mer’s blog.) i grew up singing this song in church, but never knew it was her favorite until funeral plans were being made and she requested that the line ”it is well with my soul” be put on her grave stone… kind of like how i didn’t know she loved dogwoods until after she was gone and now i have one tattood on my foot. but, i digress…
what took my beautiful grandmother away from us was cancer. after beating it once when i was in middle school, she was unable to overcome it a second time. less than a month from now i will be walking in the american cancer society’s relay for life at appalachian state university. i walked in it once after grandmere beat cancer the first time, but this is my first time walking in memory. months and months ago i set a goal to raise $200 for my walk. i am ashamed to say that i’ve let this event take the back burner in my life. i’ve spent time worrying about research papers instead of getting my friends involved with the walk and i’ve spent money on sundresses instead of donating to a cause that i deeply support.
regardless, on april 15th i will be on duck pond field walking for grandmere and for others who have battled cancer. i am calling on my friends to support me in this endeavor. please VISIT MY PAGE if you are able to donate to this cause. if you’d like to walk with me, leave me a comment and let me know! your support means so much to me and my family.
most of all, go back to the song that inspired my grandmother and inspires me today. listen to my favorite contemporary version, or any other, and remember the peace that is offered to you at all times through the love of God.


“and Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight, the clouds be rolled back as a scroll. the trump shall resound and the Lord shall descend. even so, it is well with my soul.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment